Guess what! Big news! I am officially old in enough to rent a car with certain rental companies. I know. It's exciting. I'm 21. The day finally arrived yesterday. Happy birthday to me.
As my birthday approached last week a few songs from my past came rolling into my head. One of my favorite things about music is the ability of a song to take me back to an event or a time in my life and recall long forgotten memories.
So to commemorate being alive for 21 years, here are 21 songs that remind me of some good times:
1. "From This Moment On" by Shania Twain - My mom had a cassette tape of this song and would play it what seemed like every time we got in the car. Of course I sang my heart out with her everywhere we would go.
2. Any song from the Dazed and Confused soundtrack including but not limited to "Low Rider," "Cherry Bomb," and "Jim Dandy" - One of my favorite childhood memories is my dad taking us to school with a mandatory chocolate milk and donuts stop at Bob&Carls on the way. Anytime I was in the car with dad, Dazed and Confused was on. I loved it.
3. "Wild Thing" by The Troggs - Karaoke nights at Green Meadows camp ground. Enough said.
4. "Heart in a Blender" by Eve 6 - Driving in the car with my brother Brad before his mission wishing I could be as cool as him.
5. "Dancing Queen" by Abba - Dancing around Ashley Rings' living room making up a dance to this song
6. "Melt" by Rascal Flats - Staying the night at Sydney Simons house in 6th and 7th grade.
7. "Kerosene" by Miranda Lambert - Going dancing with Ashleigh Achor and Elizabeth Murphy to this random dance club thing that had just opened. Yep. We were the only ones there. But we managed to have a blast anyways.
8. "Wake Up Little Suzie" by the Everly Brothers - Swing dancing in high school
9. "Do You Know" by Enrique Iglesias - The house in Portsmouth.
10. "Fireflies" by Faith Hill - My curvy road, countryside drive between Wilmington and Portsmouth that I took a couple times a month for two years. Gorgeous.
11. "When the Rooster Crows" by Red Rock Rondo - Laughing my head off with my family and Andrea McDonie back when she was Andrea Hoch.
12. Anything by Owl City - Pennsylvania road trip with Andrea. Big Muskie's Bucket!!!
13. "Party in the U.S.A" and " Hoe Down Throw Down" by Miley Cyrus - Oakcrest 2010 and screaming campers and the best dance parties of my life.
14. "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars - My dear Bethany Dunford blasting this song over and over and over again through the apartment one Saturday. It was great.
15. Anything by Coldplay - Of course reminds me of Jon Schoenhals and Sydney Crane
16. "Rasputin" by Boney M - Dancing in the living room with my Amanda Hales and Kiersten Cole to get PUMPED before dates or other important events.
17. "Feeling Good" by Michael Buble - Watching Amanda dance in the bathroom while getting ready/PUMPED for dates.
18. "Paradise" by Coldplay - Sydney coming home and talking about how magical her day was.
19. Anything by Andy Grammer - Cleaning checks with apartment 1 late, late into the night.
20. "What Makes You Beautiful" by One Direction and "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen - Human fireworks at Oakcrest 2012 and SCREAMING CAMPERS!!!
21. "I'm the World's Greatest" by R. Kelly - Oakcrest 2012 Directorship getting PUMPED. And Giggles' interpretive dancing of course.
It's been a great 21 years. Here's to many more and lots of laughs along the way!