Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Latest in Tourette's

Tics are funny things. They move around the body through out life and change without warning or reason. One year they will be arm tics, the next abs, the next neck, or all at once. The first few years after my Tourette's kicked in I did a lot of facial tics and biceps. The past few years haven't been so bad with shoulder and ab tics, and the occasional neck tic.

Surprise! The past few weeks my tics have moved again. And they are all centered in my lovely head. I'm back to facial tics, and lots of them. And I have some major neck tics. I've never had tics where I've needed to bang the back of my head against something, so that has been a new experience. My poor roommates are probably going to get sick of the banging sound coming from my room. It seems as though the best way to relieve this tic is to sit on my bed with my back to the wall and hit against it. As you might imagine, my neck is tired and my head hurts.

Another surprise! I'm developing vocal tics. It started as an odd whimper and has turned into to some weird grunts and HAs.

On the plus side, my neck is going to get really strong.
So if you see me making faces at you, or hear me whimpering, just know that the dopamine in my brain is having a party. No worries.

No comments: