Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rapid Pace

Things change FAST in life. This week things have changed profoundly. Everything fell apart and now everything is being put back together. So here's the deal, I AM doing Oakcrest. If you read a certain post that I posted earlier this week and have since taken down, things have changed again, and I am spending my summer at the happiest place on Earth. Done. 
Next change. I am not going on a mission in August. But I AM going on a mission in December/January. At least as far as I know. Like we've witnessed this week, things can always change. But that's the plan for now. And my Stake President can put my mission call on hold so I can most likely go to the same mission that I was called to go to for August. And in case you didn't hear where that is, its CALIFORNIA FRESNO SPANISH SPEAKING. I'm pumped. But I'll just have to wait a little longer. No biggie. 
So you might ask, "Then what are you doing between August and December?" I am going to be sticking around Provo one more semester. I'm not finished with my master's program so I'm going to finish up the coursework I have left for that.
Things can change in an instant. And all we can do is be grateful when things work out. And have faith when they don't. Lucky me, things have turned out ok. I am one blessed little girl. 
So that's whats going on in my life. I will live in Provo a little longer. And hey, four more months to find a husband right? :) If you know me at all you will hear the sarcasm in that last sentence.

This story was given at a BYU devotional the week I came to visit, a year before I started my program. Its one of my favorites:
At first I saw God as an observer, like my judge, keeping track of things I did wrong. This way, God would know whether I merited heaven or hell when I died. He was always out there, sort of like the President. I recognized His picture when I saw it, but I didn’t really know Him at all. But later on, when I recognized my higher power better, it seemed as though life was rather like a bike ride, on a tandem bike, and I noticed God was in the back helping me pedal.
I don’t know when it was that He suggested we change places, but life has not been the same since... When I had control, I knew the way. It was rather boring but predictable. It was always the shortest distance between the points. But when He took the lead, He knew delightful cuts, up mountains, and through rocky places and at breakneck speeds; it was all I could do to hang on! Even though it looked like madness, He [said], “Pedal!”
I worried and became anxious, asking, “Where are you taking me?” He just laughed and didn’t answer, and I found myself starting to trust. I soon forgot my boring life and entered into the adventure, and when I’d say, “I’m scared,” He’d lean back and touch my hand. He took me to people with gifts that I needed; gifts of healing, acceptance and joy. They gave me their gifts to take on my journey. Our journey, that is, God’s and mine. And we were off again. He said, “Give the gifts away, they’re extra baggage, too much weight.” So I did, to the people we met, and I found that in giving I received, and still our burden was light. I did not trust Him at first, in control of my life. I thought He’d wreck it. But He knew bike secrets, knew how to make it bend to take sharp corners, jump to clear places filled with rocks, fly to shorten scary passages.
And I’m learning to [be quiet] and pedal in the strangest places, and I’m beginning to enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face with my delightful constant companion, my higher power. And when I’m sure I can’t go on anymore, He just smiles and says, “Pedal . . .”

So, when all I can do is pedal, I do. And I know that he is in control and I can go down paths which he has sent me. So that's what I'm doing. And already I have been given gifts and given some of them away. But always there is peace, and my burdens are light.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok I really like the bike story! And I read your blog now, because I miss your stories and living with you!

Love you lots,
Alyssa