Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Gotta See It

A very special movie aired this weekend for the second time on CBS. If you have or know someone who has Tourette's/Tic Disorder(that's me!) you should see this movie. It will change your life!


Its about a man named Brad Cohen who wants to be a teacher and also happens to have Tourette Syndrome. It goes through his story as a kid with Tourette's and finally figuring out why he was moving and making noises and couldn't help it. And it takes you through his journey of trying to find a job as a teacher while almost everywhere turns him down because they don't think he can teach while he tics like he does.

Jimmy Wolk and Dominic Scott Kay who both play Brad in the movie (one as an adult one as a child) are both FANTASTIC actors! They did an awesome job at showing what tics are really like. It was amazing and extremely accurate.

I love that this movie showed that tics don't have to hold you back. We're normal, we just happen to tic. So what? We can do anything anyone else can :)

I cried in the first 10 minutes and the entire rest of the movie. I already ordered it on DVD and the book. And it aired at the perfect time for me. Recently I've had a couple instances where people were questioning my ability to be a counselor/therapist with Tic Disorder. Of course I assured them that it hasn't caused me a problem so far, and I didn't think it would in the future. But afterwards it made me question myself, and think, "Do they have a point? Is this hindering things and I don't let myself acknowledge it?" Brad Cohen's story reminded me, I'm not doing as well as I am despite of Tic Disorder, I'm doing as well as I am because of it(a corny yet true modified line from the movie).

Check out this movie! And if you want to know more about Tourette's, Tic Disorder, Brad Cohen, or the movie, I posted some links on the right side of my blog. Have at it.

No comments: