Monday, June 13, 2011

TFA

Most of you who know me know that I believe in Teach for America with all my heart. If you don't know what Teach for America is, go here. Today I found out that as of the 2011-2012 school year TFA will have an Appalachian region. I'M SO EXCITED!!!! Reasons? These:

1. I love Teach for America

2. I love Appalachia

3. Appalachia has areas of intense poverty and TFA is needed there greatly

4. When my sister lived in Portsmouth (outskirts of Appalachia) she fell in love with the cause of saving the children.

5. When I moved to Portsmouth, I caught the bug and too developed a deep desire to save the Appalachian children.

6. When I worked for juvenile court, that desire intensified even more.


TFA is going to save the children of the Appalachian area one child at a time! I'm so excited for even the few children they will reach to be given the knowledge and skills they need to improve their lives and know that they don't have to live in poverty forever. Most of all, I'm excited for the Appalachian children to know they're worth it.

Teach for America is one of the things on my after graduation possibilities list. That and a mission are at the very top of the list. And I could go back to Appalachia and help in the work that I love so much. But, if the big man upstairs has something else in store for me, or has a different TFA region I need to be in, I'm just happy to know they are in the region I love with the children I love.

No comments: