Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Nooks and Crannies Stick with Us Forever

Today I pulled down my tool box from my closet to get some nails for my roommate. The chair I stood on to reach the toolbox was needed elsewhere so I climbed back up and replaced the toolbox while my roommate still had my nails. When she returned the nails, the toolbox was all the way at the top of my closet and I didn't want to bring the chair back in, so my solution: Throw the box up with a curve so it can get over the ledge and land in the toolbox. I try, I fail. I try, I fail. I try a third time. Again, I fail. However, the third time, instead of the failure consisting of the box landing on the floor or me catching it, the failure consisted of the box OPENING and hundreds of nail raining down on my face. It was awesome.

I began to pick up the nails that landed on the floor. When I looked up I saw some shiny things resting on top of and in between the items of clothing hanging in the closet. So I shook out what I could and picked them up. Then I thought, "I wonder how many nails are still in the nooks and crannies of my clothing. In the folds, the wrinkles and otherwise." Then I thought, "Oh well, when I wear the clothes or move to another apartment they'll get pulled out." Then I thought, "Some of these clothes I may never wear again (let's be honest, we all have a large amount of clothes we never wear) and when I move I just grab full sections of clothes and pile them in the car, they never get separated." So then I thought, "I wonder how many of the nails that are stuck there now, will stay in the crevices of my clothing for years without me knowing it." Then I thought, "I wonder how many things this could apply to. Nails, crumbs, lint, strings, hairs, or anything else our clothing, bedding, books, backpacks or anything else might acquire in the nooks and crannies." We never notice them but we may take them across the country with us, and have them for very long periods of time.


So here's to the nails which may be with me for years to come. I wonder what you've got in your nooks and crannies.

No comments: