Saturday, May 21, 2011

On the Road Again

I'm moving. Again. It seems 8 months is my max in staying in one place. This time it bumped down to 6 months.

So do you remember my biggest reason for coming to BYU for grad school? Well, to refresh your memory, I was so excited to be immature and have fun and be the goofball that has always been inside of me, that was shamed every time it got out. So, when I moved here, instead of doing the things I came here to do, I got into "grad school mode." Being in grad school, and being a therapist made me think for some reason I had to live the "mature" life with quiet, studious roommates, my own room, covered parking, and all the other "perks" you get being "old and mature." I think one of the reasons I chose to live in the past 2 places I've lived is because I was afraid of people who know me in an academic and professional setting, judging me and thinking that living like an undergrad means I'm not serious about what I'm doing.

So about a month ago I thought, WHY? Why do I have to live like an old person? I came to BYU to do something that I haven't been doing. So, better late than never! I'm moving into an apartment with 5 other girls (2 in my room with me), 2 bathrooms, and 1 fridge. The ward will just be my building. And I plan to party it up!

Yes, I am a grad student. Yes, I am a therapist. Yes, I will be teaching a class at BYU in the fall (have I mentioned that yet? SO EXCITING). Yes, I live a life that by all means requires maturity and discipline. But guess what else? I ALSO AM 19 (almost 20)!!!! And its about time I be 19 with people who also want to be 19, and live a home life that consists of silliness and goofiness, and every part of me I have repressed for the past year. I'm stoked.

And in terms of the judgement of others, all the people I have told have responded opposite from what I expected. Usually I get a "It's about time." Only one person has been judgemental, but that's ok, some people just don't value being a kid as much as I do. And there's nothing wrong with that.

So here I go. Into the land of the undergrads! I'll have to give up some luxury. Like a washer and dryer, fridge space, assigned covered parking, and tons of storage space. But hey, I get to learn to use a laundry mat, scrape my windows (except I have remote start--Spoiled, yes), and become a space maximizer/minimalist.
My stuff is what is causing most of my anxiety. I'm going to have to part with a lot of things that I've held onto for a long while. I can get over my greed!!! Its only stuff! I can do this. Does anyone have the number for hoarders anonymous?

No comments: